Contact Us for a Free Consultation (509) 924-4825

Bicycle Accidents

Bicycle Accidents

What do I do when I get into a bicycle accident?

  1. Check to see if everyone is okay and does not need medical attention
  2. Call the police to report an accident
  3. Exchange insurance information with the other person. If the other person does not stop, try and get the license plate number and report it to the police.
  4. Call an attorney to get help through this process. Your hurt, your overwhelmed and it is a lot to do on your own.

What classifies as a bicycle?

In Washington a “bicycle means every device propelled solely by human power upon which a person or persons may ride, having two tandem wheels either of which is sixteen inches or more in diameter, or three wheels, any one of which is more than twenty inches in diameter.” RCW 46.04.071 Bicycle.

If you would like to know what classifies as an electric-assisted bicycle, please see RCW 46.04.169 for more information and definitions.

What happens if a bicyclist leaves a bar intoxicated and is stopped by the police?

 The bicyclist cannot get a ticket for riding under the influence but the bike can be impounded.

  This is important. When a car runs your bicycle off the road (this happens often) and keeps going, you have rights.

   Imagine being run off the road and tumbling down a hill and becoming severely injured and you don't know the name of the driver.

   You may be able to recover money for your injuries under your auto policy. It is best to let a lawyer sort it out.

Riding at bicycle for work and what are your rights

 More and more workers are riding bikes to deliver groceries, food, or restaurant takeout. These workers may be “employees” of the company they work for or may be contract workers.

 When a worker is injured delivering groceries or take-out on his/her bike, L&I claim should be filed.

 You may have a claim, but be sure to check if you are an employee or a contract worker, which will make all the difference of what benefits you are entitled to. Contact an attorney for more information.


The Law Offices of Charles T. Conrad is committed to answering your questions about Worker's Compensation, Personal Injury, Auto Collisions, and Wrongful Death law issues in the Northwest Region.

We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.